Monday, October 10, 2011

MOTIVATE (word #3)























This past summer Gary and I were asked to participate in a "Pioneer Trek" for the youth of our stake as a "Ma & Pa" couple. Which means we were to dress up like pioneers and more or less try to re-enact the journey of the early Mormons as they were driven out of Illinois and headed west to settle the Salt Lake Valley. In other words we walked, and walked, and pulled handcarts over hill and vale and stream for three days with our "children". Our family was made up of youth from our home ward, twelve young men and young women ages 14 - 18. Twelve of the finest individuals you would ever want to meet!!

I could write a million things about this trek. About how inspiring it was to participate in this event with hundreds of youth and leaders from our stake. This quote from Elder M. Russell Ballard is what it was all about:

"Their (the pioneers) journeys parallel our own. There are lessons for us in every footstep they took. Lessons of love, courage, commitment, devotion, endurance, and most of all FAITH."

So Gary and I were asked to lead, to parent....shall we say "motivate"? The kids were required to leave behind their cell phones, Ipods and music and friends (their life)...and come walk and walk and sleep on the hard ground for several nights with no showers or indoor bathrooms!! You get all psyched up as an adult as to what you are going to do to help these kids have a good experience....and what do you find?

They teach YOU! Their amazing attitudes, their willingness to participate and grow, their humor... well, it MOTIVATED me! If ever I face something hard, something challenging, all I need to do is think of our "Trek Family" and I'll keep going, keep moving forward. The memories I have from lessons shared with these young people will "MOTIVATE" me to "keep the faith" and not be weary!








3 comments:

  1. I love that last picture of you two! So cute! :) someday I hope I get to do the trek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that last picture is darling! i wish i could have gone on that trek with you guys

    ReplyDelete