Monday, July 25, 2011

FISHIN AND FIXIN







Trips to the cabin pretty much include two things: Fixin broken stuff...(usually something to do with the plumbing) and Fishin.
Staying true to form, two weeks after the "stroke" we headed up to the cabin so Gary could crawl under the kitchen sink and finish the repairs that needed to be done to have things in shape for the summer. On one hand I thought..."really" I can't believe Gary is doing this...on the other hand...there isn't a more healing place than that little cabin in the woods.

I got a kick out of watching "Team Emmers and Big G" work together to bring that "pure mountain well water" flowing smoothly to the kitchen sink. Basically Gary couldn't rest until he put the finishing touches on the plumbing overhaul that Gary, Jonathan, Steve and granite partner Brandon had started before Memorial Day.

I found a photo of Gary and Grandpa Kesterson working together on the cabin. Don't know why I snapped that picture, perhaps it was the highlight of that day? No doubt there is a feeling of accomplishment when something that needs to be done GETS DONE, and "my Man" gets it done! Now, the sweet memory is the thought of Gary and his Grandpa rolling up their sleeves and working together. On that day, some 18 years ago, I didn't give it a second thought. Believe me after what Gary has been through, I actually savored watching father and daughter work together on those blasted cabin pipes!

Now - FISHIN - that's the payback!! It's one of the few sports that I know of that says "relax...slow down" and makes little boys AND big boys SMILE.

1 comment:

  1. Fixing those pipes was so much fun! its so funny how dad wont stop until EVERYTHING that he can think of is done. I hope i marry someone as proactive as him!

    ReplyDelete